IASL Procedures and Guidelines
Guidelines: International School Library Month [ISLM]
1) Activity: Proclaimed by President Blanche Woolls in 1999, International School Library Day (ISLD) was celebrated on or about the fourth Monday of October each year, as determined by local school and public holidays. The change to International School Library Month [ISLM] was approved by the IASL Board in December 2007.
The major objectives of activities associated with ISLM shall be to:
- 2.1. Further the objectives of IASL as stated in its constitution
- 2.2 To connect school library staff through international collegiality and raise awareness of the importance of school librarianship across the curriculum.
- 2.3 Promote and support practical activities that centre on learning, teaching and school libraries.
- 2.4 Promote the professional status of school librarians, teacher-librarians, school media specialists and all library staff.
- 2.5 Encourage membership in IASL.
Both members and non-members of IASL are encouraged to participate in ISLM activities, developing activities appropriate to local resources that are related to the theme determined each year by the ISLM Committee.
- 4.1 The IASL Website, School Libraries Online, the Newsletter and IASL-LINK will be the key vehicles for publicising and promoting ISLM activities to IASL members but national listservs shall be used to ensure communication with non-members.
- 4.2 Printed publicity materials will be made available to IASL members, dependent upon budget considerations.
- 5.1 The IASL Executive Committee shall determine the amount of funds available for maintaining and developing ISLM when preparing the association's annual budget.
- 5.2 The ISLM Coordinator shall present a recommended budget each year at the annual conference to the Executive Committee. This budget shall be based on past costs and projected costs for improvements.
- 5.3 Proposals to the Executive Committee for promotional merchandise will include details of production costs, location of producer and shipping or mailing to conferences or members individually.
- 5.4 The ISLM Coordinator shall keep expenditures within the approved budget.
6) Annual Report
- 6.1 The ISLM Coordinator shall submit a written report to the IASL Board at each annual meeting
- 6.2 A copy of the Annual Report of the ISLM Coordinator shall be sent to the respective IASL Executive Committee member by 1 June each year, and will be made available to Executive Committee and Board of Directors prior to the annual meeting.
7) Appointment of the ISLM Coordinator
7.1 The IASL Executive shall appoint the ISLM coordinator taking account of the required qualifications listed below.
- 7.1.2 The ISLM Coordinator shall serve for an initial term of three years. The term of service may be extended by mutual agreement for as long as the Coordinator is willing to continue.
- 7.1.3 Either the Coordinator or IASL Executive, following written notice of three months, may terminate this agreement.
- 7.1.4 The ISLM Coordinator shall attend meetings of the Board of Directors of IASL.
7.2 Qualifications of the ISLM Coordinator
- 7.2.1 The candidate shall be a member of IASL
- 7.2.2 The candidate shall be capable of initiating activities to accomplish the objectives of ISLM and the Association, and within the outlined areas of responsibility.
- 7.2.3 The candidate shall have the ability to write effectively in English
8) Duties and Responsibilities of the ISLM Coordinator
The Coordinator shall:
- 8.1 chair the ISLM Sub committee (see below)
- 8.2 will liaise with the Webmaster concerning the nature and extent of website support required each year and ensure that the committee provides promotional material for the Newsletter and IASL-LINK.
- 8.3 establish (in conjunction with the Board, and other appropriate officers) and implement ISLM policies and procedures that will further the objectives of the association if and when required.
- 8.4 Establish procedures for ongoing monitoring and evaluation of ISLM as a basis for planning and development.
- 8.5 Liaise with the Executive Secretary regarding and advising on any financial implications of ISLM projects that may lead to more effective achievement of IASL's goals.
- 8.6 Maintain a record of expenditures on ISLM, in line with the approved budget for the year.
- 8.7 Submit an annual report to the respective Executive Committee member, the report to include a recommended budget for the forthcoming year.
9) ISLM Sub Committee
- 9.1 The ISLM Coordinator may establish a sub committee of the IASL Board which may be supplemented with other IASL members and will meet electronically throughout the year.
- 9.2 The Sub committee will consist of at least four members: the ISLM Coordinator, Webmaster and representatives from the northern and southern hemispheres.
- 9.3 Sub Committee members shall liaise with their wider communities to canvas ideas for ISLM activities with international appeal.
- 9.4 Sub Committee members shall plan and publicise ISLM activities, making an announcement of each year's theme at the annual conference. Where possible, the focus of ISLM will reflect an aspect of the theme for the annual conference.
Approved: 2004. To be reviewed in 2006